Material Change of Use (MCU)

A 'Material Change of Use' application is generally required when there is:  

  • The start of a new use of a building or on the land
  • The re-establishment of a use that has been abandoned 
  • A material change in the intensity or scale of the use of the land. 

View the Development Assessment Guideline for Operational Works and Building Works(PDF, 2MB).  This guideline provides general information and practical guidance about where excavation or filling works requires an operational works development permit and the limited circumstances where excavation and filling can be authorised by a building works permit.

DA Forms

For a Material Change of Use Application, DA Form 1 will be required. Please refer to the below Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning website for the current Application Forms.

Planning Act 2016 Development Application Forms.

Fees and Charges

For fees applicable to Material Change of Use assessable against the Planning Scheme  Development Application refer to Council's Fees and Charges.