Hazardous Waste


Hazardous waste must be disposed of very carefully at a Waste Facility or via a specialist disposal company to ensure nobody’s safety is put in danger. It cannot be placed in your wheelie bin.

Items requiring an appointment to take to the Lakes Creek Road Waste Management Facility:

Not accepted at any other Waste Facility in the Rockhampton Region.

  • Regulated waste (including asbestos)
  • Abrasive blasting materials
  • Waste as a result of fire (incineration)
  • Soils from land rehabilitation and remediation
  • Household or industrial chemicals
  • Commercial medical waste
  • Paper sludge
  • Chemically impregnated timber
  • Carpet
  • Quantities of fire/smoke detectors (above 10 units)
  • Paints (accepted paint & packaging items through Paintback scheme which can be dropped off without appointment)

Important guidelines must be met when disposing of these items so it is essential you call us on (07) 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77 if you are planning on disposing of any of the above items. We will guide you through the steps required and can arrange an appointment time with you to drop your items off.

Items requiring specialist disposal include:

  • Asbestos (SEE FACTSHEETS and read Council's Environment and Public Health info)
  • Chemicals
  • Liquid waste
  • Chlorine
  • Cleaning products
  • Cooking oil (over 20L)
  • Engine oil (over 20L) - <20L is accepted for collection at all Waste Facilities in Rockhampton Region
  • Fire extinguishers - Water, CO2, Powder are accepted for collection at all Waste Facilities in Rockhampton Region
  • Flares
  • Fuels
  • Garden chemicals
  • Herbicides and pesticides
  • Needles/ Syringes - Place in sharps container and take to Community Sharps Disposal Bin
  • Paint, Paint thinner/stripper/varnish
  • Poison cans
  • Petrol.

These items require disposal through a specialist disposal company. These companies can be found in the Yellow Pages under ‘Waste Reduction and Disposal’ or find out more information on the Chem Clear website.

Items requiring military disposal include:

  • Unexploded Ordinance.

If you suspect that a possible ammunition item has been found, please report it to Police immediately. They will instigate a request for Defence personnel to attend and dispose of the item. For more information please visit the Australian Government Department of Defence website.