Red lid General Waste Wheelie Bin
General waste refers to general everyday household waste that can be placed in your general waste wheelie bin. General waste wheelie bins have a red lid or superseded green lid.
Download free helpful Household Waste and Recycling Pantry Reference Card
What goes in your general waste wheelie bin?
- Bakery/ Meat trays
- Garden clippings (ONLY when bagged).
- Disposable nappies
- Plastic bags, cling wrap, bubble wrap, cellophane, sachets, snap lock bags, food pouches and wrapping film. Preferred to be disposed of at a REDcycle bin at any Coles or Woolworths.
- Disposable coffee cups
- Laminated paper, carbon paper
- Coat hangers
- Lids (less than 5cm wide)
- Garden hoses, fishing line, rope
- Small electrical appliances (kettle, hair dryer, blender, vacuum etc)
- Pens, pencils and stationery items
- Food waste. Preferred to be disposed of in compost.
- Kitty litter
- Small broken household items
- Christmas tinsel, ribbon, balloons, sticky tape
- Plastic plates, cups, cutlery, straws
- Broken ceramics, crockery, pyrex glassware and drinking glasses (wrapped for safety)
- Broken window/ glass, light bulbs and mirrors (wrapped for safety)
- Broken pots, pans, ovenware
- X-rays, photographs
- Polystyrene / Styrofoam
- Any moulded plastic container without a recycling symbol
- Smoke detectors
- Used tissues and paper towels
- Waxed cardboard
- Household medical waste and sanitary products. Preferred disposal of needles/syringes ONLY in sharps containers, and take to a community sharps disposal bin.
- Items contaminated with food/ liquid making them unsuitable for recycling
- Shredded paper (bagged ONLY). Preferred to be disposed of in compost/ garden weed mat/ chicken bedding.
Do not put in your general waste wheelie bin - take them to a Waste Management Facility:
- Items weighing over 85kg
- Hazardous waste and chemicals. Please phone ahead to arrange.
- Fluorescent light tubes
- Car parts
The following items can be dropped off for free at most Waste Transfer Stations/Waste Management Facilities;
- Car batteries
- Stoves, washing machines, microwaves (fee applies for refrigerators, air conditioners and freezers)
- Scrap metal
- Engine and cooking oil (up to 20L)
- Paint (up to 20L of architectural, deck, varnish, stains)
- Gas bottles and cylinders, flares and EPIRBS
- Fire extinguishers (water, CO2 and powder ONLY)
- E-waste (computers, printers, TVs, keyboards, cables, mobile phones etc)
- Preloved household items suitable for donation
- drumMUSTER approved clean Ag and Vet chemical containers