General Information

Central Queensland is home to a variety of venomous and non-venomous snakes.

Snakes play an important role in maintaining the natural environment. Along with other reptiles, they make up a significant proportion of the middle-order predators that keep natural ecosystems working. Without them, the numbers of prey species would increase to unnatural levels and the predators that eat snakes would struggle to find food.

Most snakes do not pose a threat to humans and animals if left alone, and are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 where it is an offence to kill, injure or take snakes from the wild.

What you can do

If you find a snake inside, keep your distance and if safe to do so encourage the snake to go back outside.  Do not corner or harass the snake. 

If you find a snake in your backyard or outdoor area, close your doors to the house and bring pets inside until the snake has moved on.

Should a snake pose a risk to human health and wellbeing, you may contact an appropriately authorised snake removal and relocation contractor (via online search or the yellow pages). There is a cost for using these services. Removal will be at the cost of the landowner or occupier.

Prevention is the best strategy when dealing with snakes. Keep doors to buildings closed at all times when not in use.  Ensure all gaps into your house are sealed, including doors, windows and garages.  Keep your grass mowed and your yard neat and tidy. Remove food sources (including vermin attractants) and shelter (such as piles of green waste).

What Council can do

If you have a concern in your neighbourhood in relation to long grass, or unsightly allotments, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77.

If you have a concern in relation to the condition of Council land in your neighbourhood, please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77.

What State Government can do

 The Department of Environment and Science issues permits for the removal and relocation of wildlife, this is called a Damage Mitigation Permit. Authorised contractors must carry a valid permit to undertake wildlife removal and relocation activities.

For complaints and enquiries in relation to licensing please contact the Department of Environment and Science on 1300 130 372.