Red lid General Waste Wheelie Bin
General waste refers to general everyday household waste that can be placed in your general waste wheelie bin.
General waste wheelie bins have a red lid or superseded green lid.
Find out about general waste wheelie bin collections.
Download free helpful Household Waste and Recycling Pantry Reference Card
What goes in your general waste wheelie bin:
- Bakery/ Meat trays
- Garden clippings (ONLY when bagged). Preferred to be disposed at any Waste Management Facility for FREE.
- Disposable nappies
- Plastic bags, cling wrap, bubble wrap, cellophane, sachets, snap lock bags, food pouches and wrapping film. Preferred to be disposed of at a REDcycle bin at any Coles or Woolworths.
- Disposable coffee cups
- Laminated paper, carbon paper
- Coat hangers
- Lids (less than 5cm wide)
- Garden hoses, fishing line, rope
- Small electrical appliances (kettle, hair dryer, blender, vacuum etc)
- Pens, pencils and stationery items
- Food waste. Preferred to be disposed of in compost.
- Kitty litter
- Small broken household items
- Christmas tinsel, ribbon, balloons, sticky tape
- Plastic plates, cups, cutlery, straws
- Broken ceramics, crockery, pyrex glassware and drinking glasses (wrapped for safety)
- Broken window/ glass, light bulbs and mirrors (wrapped for safety)
- Broken pots, pans, ovenware
- X-rays, photographs
- Polystyrene / Styrofoam
- Any moulded plastic container without a recycling symbol
- Smoke detectors
- Used tissues and paper towels
- Waxed cardboard
- Household medical waste and sanitary products. Preferred disposal of needles/syringes ONLY in sharps containers, and take to a community sharps disposal bin.
- Items contaminated with food/ liquid making them unsuitable for recycling
- Shredded paper (bagged ONLY). Preferred to be disposed of in compost/ garden weed mat/ chicken bedding.
Do not put in your general waste wheelie bin - take them to a Waste Management Facility:
- Items weighing over 85kg
- Hazardous waste and chemicals. Please phone ahead to arrange.
- Fluorescent light tubes
- Car parts
The following items can be dropped off for free at most Waste Transfer Stations/ Waste Management Facilities;
- Garden green waste
- Car batteries
- Fridges, Freezers, Air Conditioners
- Stoves, Washing machines, Microwaves
- Scrap metal
- Engine and cooking oil (up to 20L)
- Paint (up to 20L of architectural, deck, varnish, stains)
- Gas bottles and cylinders, flares and EPIRBS
- Fire extinguishers (water, CO2 and powder ONLY)
- E-waste (computers, printers, TVs, keyboards, cables, mobile phones etc)
- Preloved household items suitable for donation
- drumMUSTER approved clean Ag and Vet chemical containers