Pilbeam Drive to close for cyclone damage remediation
Published on 06 November 2018
Rockhampton Regional Council today announced Pilbeam Drive would be closed to the general public from next week while slope stabilisation and remediation works are completed.
Infrastructure Committee Chair Councillor Tony Williams said the road would be closed to the public from Monday 19th November to Sunday 31st March to repair damage caused by Tropical Cyclone Debbie last year.
“This project will be similar to what we saw after Tropical Cyclone Marcia in 2015 but on a much smaller scale,” Cr Williams said.
“The closure is anticipated to be for five months this time depending on the weather and will start at the bottom of Pilbeam Drive and won’t extend onto Frenchville Road like it did last time.
“The reason we have to do these works is because an assessment of damage from TC Debbie found a number of slips, scoured table drains, blocked culverts, pavement damage and debris build up, so we need to make sure this road is safe for residents and visitors to Mount Archer.
“Contractor JRT has been appointed to carry out the $3.88 million project with funding from both Council and the joint Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
“Access will remain for local residents and emergency services and the road will reopen for two weeks to the general public over the Christmas break as well as weekends on the school holidays for people to enjoy Mount Archer.
“While these works are going on, we’d like to thank the community for their patience as we deliver a safer road to one of our region’s iconic locations,” Cr Williams said.