Infrastructure assets

Kerb and Channel

Concrete kerb and channel is usually associated with sealed roads and used to direct stormwater runoff from roadways into underground drainage pits or chambers.

Concrete Overhead Crossings

Also known as ‘concrete crossovers’ or ‘concrete kerb crossovers’, these concrete panels (approximately 600mm square) span the concrete kerb and channel to assist with smoother access to steep driveways. Property owners are responsible for the repair or replacement of concrete crossovers and maintaining a clear waterway beneath them. New crossings require approval through a Road Reserve Works Permit Application(PDF, 343KB) form. Council can also provide copies of standard drawings for the construction of concrete crossovers. You can request a copy by contacting Council’s Civil Operations Section by phoning Council’s Customer Service Centre on (07) 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77.

Stormwater Grates

Metal stormwater grates are usually associated with drainage pits or chambers and can present a serious risk of personal injury or property damage should they be removed or become damaged.


In conjunction with other infrastructure planning, Council prioritises the expansion of our footpath network using factors such as destination, pedestrian profile and volume. Using this approach, Council can avoid the installation of isolated sections of footpath that become difficult to administer and maintain. Council prioritises and programs the installation of footpaths each financial year.

If customers would like to request a footpath along a street they are to contact council via written correspondence requesting that the street be considered for prioritising in a future financial year.

Signs and Lines

Council’s Civil Operations Section is responsible for the maintenance of existing signs and lines within the region. Signs which the Civil Operations section are responsible for the maintenance of can include, street/road name signs and traffic management signs.

Linemarking is used for many purposes, including delineation of traffic movements, parking spaces and areas of restricted parking. The request for new or amendments to existing signs and lines are referred to Council’s Infrastructure Planning Unit for consideration.

Street Lighting

The ownership and maintenance of street lighting falls under three categories, these are:

  • Ergon Energy owned;
  • Council owned; and
  • Department of Transport and Main Roads owned.

The majority of street lights are owned and maintained by Ergon Energy. Council does own a number of street lights mostly associated with public spaces such as parks, ramps and Council facilities and these are maintained by Council’s Facilities Unit. Department of Transport and Main Roads own and maintain street lights that are on state controlled roads and highways.

If customers wish to report maintenance requests for street lights and are unsure which category the light falls under they can contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on (07) 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77.

FAQs - Urban Infrastructure(PDF, 127KB)