Permits and Licences for Properties

If you have a lease (but not a seasonal licence or permit) for a Council premises you may need liquor, gaming or health licences.

Liquor Licensing

There are several types of liquor licences and permits available from the liquor Licensing Division of the Department of Tourism, Fair Trading and Wine Industry Development.

General purpose permit – for the sale and supply of liquor for a one –off occasion.

Restricted club permit – for the sale and supply of liquor by non-proprietary clubs for a period between three and 12 months.

Liquor licences – for the sale and supply of liquor on a permanent basis

Wine licence – for the sale and supply of wine

General licence – for hotels, taverns, victuallers, spirit merchant retail, canteens

Club licence – (non–proprietary clubs) – for sporting clubs, ex-servicemen’s clubs, workers clubs.

Lease holders require the land owner’s permission to obtain a Liquor licence, once approved by Council your licence request may need to go to Department of Environment & Resource Management for approval, depending on whether the land is freehold/leasehold or reserve.

You can get more information, including application forms, from the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation website. 

Council Consent for Selling Alcohol

Your lease will specify if alcohol is permitted on your premises under a liquor licence. Please note that your lease has a ‘no glass’ condition on it meaning that no glass bottled alcohol or drinks can be sold on your premises.

Even if your lease permits a liquor licence, you need Council’s consent to apply for any liquor licence other than general purpose permit.  On the application you must note Council as the land owner.

You need to send the following to Council:

  • A letter requesting Council’s consent (as the land owner) be completed on the form.

If approved, Council will sign the application form as the land owner if your liquor licence application is supported.

After Council has signed the forms, they will be returned to you for lodgement at the liquor Licensing Division.


The terms and conditions of your lease will indicate if gaming, such as poker machines or bingo, is allowed on your premises.

Applications for gaming licences need to be made to the Queensland Office of Gaming Regulation.

For more information visit the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation website.

Health Licences

Food Premises

The Food Act 2003 requires certain food businesses where food is prepared, packed, stored, handled, served or supplies to be licensed with Rockhampton Regional Council.

For more information, please contact Customer Service on 07 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77.