Trainee and Apprenticeships
Why Choose Rockhampton Regional Council?
When joining the team at Rockhampton Regional Council, you are joining a group of people with an unwavering commitment to the Rockhampton Region and the vision of "one great Region to live, visit and invest". We pride ourselves on being welcoming, inclusive and embracing different perspectives to ensure everything we do has a sustainable impact on our community. Council provides a large number of goods, services and facilities to residents, community groups/organisations and businesses of the Rockhampton Region.
Council offers a variety of apprenticeships and traineeships that provide the opportunity to make a difference in your community, develop your skills and knowledge, and work in a safe and healthy environment. We are committed to providing our apprentices and trainees with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their careers.
If you are looking for a rewarding and challenging career, then an apprenticeship or traineeship at Rockhampton Regional Council is the opportunity you have been waiting for! It is a great way to attain a nationally recognised qualification, learn new skills and gain experience in a workplace, all whilst being paid. As an apprentice or trainee, you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects that make a difference in your community with the support of your supervisor and team mates.
Here are some benefits that you will be eligible for:
Council will take care of:
- Nine day fortnight
- Time allocated during work time for you to complete your assessments
- Up to 18% superannuation
- Fitness passport
- Opportunity to salary sacrifice personal vehicles and personal superannuation contributions to reduce your tax.
- All uniforms and PPE required to safely undertake your role will be provided
- Council will cover all the costs associated with your qualification, and enrolment paperwork too.
- All training and development costs.
What should you expect?
Our apprenticeship and traineeship opportunities are full time positions. We will provide you with the skills you need to succeed; including on-the job training, mentorship and a nationally recognised qualification.
Successful Traineeship candidates will be offered a one to three year fixed term employment contract, and Apprentices a four year fixed term employment contract aligning to the period of study required to obtain their qualification. Upon completing your qualification you will be eligible to apply for vacant positions within Council.
Who are we looking for?
Don’t worry if you don’t have experience, attitude is everything. Our Values are Accountable, Customer Focused, People Development, One Team and Continuos Improvement. If these resonate with you, you’re exactly what we are looking for.
We want team orientated individuals who are willing to go above and beyond. You must be reliable, punctual and willing to follow instructions.Safety First is our top priority at Council, so you must be prepared to use initiative, follow instructions and procedures, and speak up in situations where you are not comfortable.
To be eligible for any apprenticeship or traineeship, applicants must be:
- Aged 15 years or older and no longer at school.
- Able to meet citizen, residency and visa requirements to undertake a traineeship.
- 'C' Class Driver.
Government Funded Positions
Rockhampton Regional Council traineeship and apprenticeship opportunities are made available with the assistance of government funding. These positions are subject to further eligibility requirements.
Applicants must meet one of the following identified disadvantage groups (you can meet more than one requirement):
- Young people (aged 15 – 24 years)
- People with disability
- Long-term unemployed job seekers
- Displaced workers
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Women re-entering the workforce
- Mature-age job seekers (45 years or older)
- Veterans and ex-service personnel
- Migrants and refugees from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
| Stage 1
Online Applications open
| August 2023
| Stage 2
Shortlisting of applications received
| September 2023
| Stage 3
Round 1 Assessment Centre
Testing(2 hour commitment)
| 20 September 2023
| Stage 4
Round 2 Panel Interview
(30 min. commitment)
| October 2023
| Stage 5
Round 3 Second Interview
(Business Trainees only)
Candidate interview with Supervisors
(1/2 day commitment)
| October 2023
| Stage 6
Reference and Background Checks
Reference checks from two referees provided by you.
A criminal history check and drug & alcohol test is also required prior to an offer of employment. Medical functional capacity evaluations are conducted for some roles.
| November 2023
| Stage 7
A verbal offer will be made, followed by a letter of offer and new starter information.
| December 2023
| Stage 8
| 15 January 2024
Ready to Apply?
All we need from you is:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter detailing some information about yourself.
- Your interest in this Traineeship / Apprenticeship and what makes you suitable.
- Tell us about your skills, work experience or volunteer work that might be relevant to the role.
Tips to help with your application
- Make sure you have read all the information on this page
- Read our website to know who we are what we do
- Address all the criteria in your cover letter
- Make sure you use an email address that you check regularly - we will be communicating information primarily through email
- Make sure you are available for the recruitment dates above
Click here to apply
Want to hear from our current trainees?