New amenities completed at Cedric Archer Park
Published on 13 May 2016
Several new amenities have been installed as part of the $2.35million Cedric Archer Park upgrade including new outdoor shelters covering refurbished electric BBQ’s, power reticulation to support the playground, and a new toilet block completed this week.
Rockhampton Regional Council’s Parks, Recreation and Sport Committee Chair Councillor Cherie Rutherford said Cedric Archer Park was progressing well with community feedback very positive.
“The toilet block has just been completed which adds to the BBQ and picnic area, ensuring the Gracemere community can spend more time relaxing outdoors and enjoying this great space,” Cr Rutherford said.
“The community desperately wanted these amenities before we moved onto other areas of the upgrade, so we’re pleased to now have a family-friendly space complementing the very popular playground area and the sporting fields.
“The feedback to date on the entire upgrade has been very positive and everyone is looking forward to the next stage including the construction of the skate park. Cedric Archer Park really is becoming a brilliant social and recreational asset for the growing Gracemere community.”
Division 4 Councillor Ellen Smith said the construction of the skate park was anticipated to begin in late May.
“The skate park will be terrific for our young people, and with detailed designs nearing completion, construction is due to begin in late May which is quite exciting,” Cr Smith said.
“We’ll also be preparing the concept plans for the Touch of Paradise section of the park, with the hydraulic assessment having now been completed.”
Cedric Archer Park received $502,668 in the 2014/15 budget to commence the staged development over the following three years. A further $700,000 was allocated in the 2015/16 year and $1,150,000 for the final stage in the 2016/17 financial year.
Progress to date:
- The district playground completed in August 2015
- Site switchboard and power reticulation around the play area , park shelters and Gazebo completed first quarter 2016
- New shelters and electric BBQ completed May 2016
- New amenities building (toilets) supporting playground completed May 2016
- New skate park construction work to commence late May 2016
- Hydraulic study / assessment completed on the “Touch of Paradise” Lake system with final stage anticipated to begin in late 2016.