Holiday access to Pilbeam Drive
Published on 16 November 2018
Rockhampton Regional Council would like to remind residents that Pilbeam Drive will be open every weekend throughout the school holidays, and for two weeks over Christmas, while stabilisation and remediation works are completed.
The works, which start this Monday, will repair damage caused by Tropical Cyclone Debbie last year.
Infrastructure Committee Chair Councillor Tony Williams said he was pleased the new Nurim Circuit boardwalk at the top of Mount Archer would remain accessible to families and visitors over the Christmas period.
“An assessment of the damage from TC Debbie found a number of things that need to be worked on to ensure Pilbeam Drive is safe, and the safety of our community is our number one priority.
“However I am pleased that were able to schedule the works to provide access over the school holidays, so that residents and tourists alike can still enjoy the stunning views from our new boardwalk.
“Also, the works won’t need to extend onto Frenchville Road like last time, which will avoid some of the disruption we saw during the repairs after TC Marcia.
“While these works are going on, we’d like to thank the community for their patience as we deliver a safer road to one of our region’s iconic locations,” Cr Williams said.
An assessment of damage from TC Debbie found a number of slips, scoured table trains, blocked culverts, pavement damage and debris build up. Contractor JRT has been appointed to carry out the $3.88 million project with funding from both Council and the joint Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
The works are expected to be completed in March 2019, with access for local residents and emergency services remaining throughout.