The Region’s well placed to take advantage of world-class coal and gas deposits in the Bowen, Galilee and the Surat
Despite its strategic position, Rockhampton has not fully realised this opportunity and significantly missed out on the
benefits of the recent mining boom.
Like Townsville, Mackay and Toowoomba – Rockhampton can be a major regional services hub for the resource sector. To facilitate Rockhampton’s development as a Resource Services Hub, Council will:
- Appoint an Industry Champion to identify market opportunities and impediments and advocate for the resources sector
- Promote the City as a Resource Sector Services Hub
- In partnership with the State Government, and with support from ICN, complete a supply chain analysis to:
- map industry needs
- identify business capacity
- pinpoint supply chain gaps
- Support local businesses to integrate into the mining and major projects supply chain
- Advocate for strategic infrastructure investment and regulatory reform
- Support the re-establishment of mining activity at Mount Morgan.