Rockhampton CBD will be the economic and cultural heart of the region: a dynamic place that is thriving, connected and memorable. This is the vision for the transformation of Rockhampton’s CBD.
Rockhampton Regional Council recognises that a vibrant, strong and prosperous CBD is critical for the long-term success of the city and the region that it serves. With this in mind, Council is embarking on a signature project to lead
the transformation of the CBD through a comprehensive Rockhampton CBD Redevelopment Framework. The Rockhampton CBD Redevelopment Framework takes a holistic approach to CBD development incorporating Economic Development, Public Realm, Built Form, Social and Cultural and Access and Transport strategies and initiatives to make the CBD a better place to live, work, shop, play and stay.
Economic Development strategies and initiatives are centred on the objective of creating a prosperous and interesting place to shop, play, do business, visit and invest. This will be achieved through the following strategies and actions:
Business + Investment Ready
- Investment Attraction Team: focussed on investment and business attraction
- Development Incentives Program: Incentivise desired CBD developments through the provision of incentives
- Retail development analysis: Retail market analysis to identify opportunities for retail attraction
- Renew Rockhampton Program: finding short term creative uses for vacant CBD buildings
- Strategic Project development: Develop and implement a strategy for CBD catalytic public investment
- Review and re-align the CBD road hierarchy, including entry points
- Investigate demand and develop new public transport and public parking infrastructure.
Active And Vibrant Streets + Laneways
- Eat Street Promotion: Develop Quay Street as Rockhampton’s Eat Street destination
- Street Frontage Activation: encourage street frontage activation through co-investment and promotion of footpath dining
- CBD Events: permit and promote a program of evening events to activate the nights
- Laneway Activation: in partnership with traders, develop and implement a Laneway Activation Pilot
- Streetscaping redevelopment of priority roads and corridors to provide a greener, cooler and more sustainable place.
A Place to Live For All
- Residential Diversity: partner with private developers, Economic Development Queensland, Central Queensland University and not-for-profit housing providers to establish a mix of residential housing types within the CBD.
Supporting Creativity + Innovation
• Smart Hub: implement and develop the Smart Hub on Quay Street
• CBD Tertiary Education Campus: work with Central Queensland University and other higher education providers to establish tertiary education operations within the CBD
• Free Wi-Fi: provide free Wi-Fi to outdoor locations within the CBD
• iBeacons: install iBeacons within the CBD Core to allow Council, retailers and businesses to develop and use promotion and information applications
• Create places in the CBD that transform it into an arts and cultural destination of national significance.