Dwelling (New dwelling, alterations and additions)

A building application is required for a single detached dwelling under the Building Act 1975 for the following type of work:

  • A new building constructed either on the site or a manufactured building transported to the site (a new dwelling). A Plumbing Application may be required where any plumbing/drainage work is associated with a new building.  Refer to the plumbing/drainage site for information on this matter.
  • A building relocated from a site and re-instated as a dwelling on another allotment (a relocated dwelling). A building application is also required for removal of a dwelling from a site. If the water meter is to be removed, a further application may be required or notification to Plumbing Industrial Council (PIC) using a Form 4. Generally, the nominated Plumber will handle this.
  • Additions / structural alterations constructed to an existing dwelling.

development application may be required if the building work:

  • Cannot comply with the self-assessable requirements of the relevant Planning Scheme
  • Is development in a zone that requires planning approval or
  • The property is located in an area identified with a Feature (refer to overlay mapping data under the Planning Scheme) that requires planning approval, then it is likely that a Material Change of Use Application will be required. Contact Council’s Duty Planner Officer for confirmation. (refer to the Planning Scheme which has jurisdiction over your property).
Single Dwelling Definition

The Queensland Development Code (QDC) defines a dwelling as single dwelling not attached to another dwelling and on an individual lot.

Siting Requirements

The Queensland Development Code regulates siting requirements for single detached dwellings and Class 10 type structures.

Siting requirements under the Planning Scheme

A Planning Scheme may have ‘alternative provisions’ which provide boundary setbacks that conflict with the Queensland Development Code. Where such provisions exist, then those provisions override the Queensland Development Code. Check the Rockhampton Region Planning Scheme for any alternative provisions relating to boundary setbacks.

Wind Category Rating

The building work is required to be designed to comply with the wind rating of the property on which the development is to occur (either Non-Cyclonic or Cyclonic). The building plans/documents must confirm the design standard. To find out the wind rating of your property contact either your nominated RPEQ Engineer or the authority nominated to assess the application.

Documentation required to lodge a Building Application for a Dwelling/Additions

  • DA Form 2
  • If registered builder is nominated and cost of work exceeds $3,300, then a receipt for Qld Building Services Authority insurance levy or
  • If an Owner Builder project, then a copy of the Owner Builder Number advice provided by the Qld Building Services Authority
  • If the value of the work is more than $80,000, then payment of a Portable Long Service Leave (PLSL) is required to be paid at the post office and copy of receipt provided with the application.

Floor Plans (min scale 1:100 – 3 sets)

  • Floor plan – full dimensions
  • Elevation and section plans – full dimensions
  • Design details (either engineer specifications and/or bracing, timber schedule, tiedown details)
  • Floor level of building above adjacent finished ground level
  • Identify the use of the rooms
  • Smoke detector location/s
  • Method of termite treatment to be used.
  • Wind category design details/certification.
  • Energy efficiency design calculations
  • Window / door sizes.

Site Plan (min scale 1:100 – 3 sets)

  • Full outline of property and dimensions
  • Location of ALL existing buildings and clearly identify the new building structure
  • North point
  • Road frontages to be identified
  • Easements/covenant areas on the site
  • Distance of all buildings from the boundaries
  • Location of sewer / method of roof stormwater discharge on the site.
  • Details of any site works that are proposed to be carried out as part of, or for, the development.
  • Contours of the site after cut/fill site drainage system
  • Location of rainwater tank (for new/relocated dwelling).

Other Documentation

  • If timber trusses to be installed, 1 copy of timber truss layout/tiedown (* may not be applicable for a relocated dwelling if that component does not require replacement/upgrade)
  • Engineer drawings/ specifications/ design certification (must use IDAS Form 15).
  • Soil Test report (for new/relocated dwelling or where additions exceed 50% of the floor area of the existing dwelling)
  • Specifications of the fitout of the building
  • Restumping and house lifts – Engineers design and certification. Replacement of more than piers/stumps will require a Building Approval.