Yellow lid Recycling Wheelie Bin
We can all recycle right!
Remove all lids and give a quick rinse/ scrape out of food or liquids.
Put your recyclables loose in the bin - no plastic bags.
Find out about recycling wheelie bin collections .
Where do my recyclables go?
Recyclables can be placed in your yellow lidded recycling wheelie bin, or self-hauled to be dropped off for free in the Commingled recycling bin in the Recycling Area at the following accepting Waste Management Facilities:
- Lakes Creek Road
- Mount Morgan
- Alton Downs
All of the recyclables collected from our waste management facilities and kerbside recycling wheelie bins are sent to the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) in Parkhurst, Rockhampton. The MRF (pronounced 'merf') is managed by Kriaris Recyclables Processing and is where recyclables are sorted into product types (plastic, paper, glass, steel, aluminium). From the MRF, recyclables are transported to companies within Australia to be processed into a reusable material and then sold to national and international companies to make into new products. Watch the video of the MRF.
What is recyclable?
Recycle the following items in your yellow-lid wheelie bin or the commingled bin at a Waste Management Facility:
Paper and Cardboard
(remove plastic wrap, polystyrene packaging and squash boxes)
- Cardboard (all except waxed)
- Clean pizza box lid
- Junk mail and newspapers
- Clean food and egg cartons
- Loose office paper
- Envelopes - plain or windowface
- Telephone directories, books and magazines
- Toilet paper rolls
- Wrapping paper and greeting cards
- Empty milk and juice cartons
Aluminium and Steel
(scrape/ rinse out all content remnants)
- Softdrink cans
- Beer cans
- Coffee cans
- Food can/ tins
- Pet food tins
- Empty aerosol deodorant and paint cans
- Clean aluminium or tin foil (as scrunched ball 5cm wide)
- Metal lids over 5cm wide
(On hard molded plastics look for one of these symbols)
- Detergent containers
- Ice cream containers and lids
- Juice bottles
- Milk bottles
- Household/ takeaway containers
- Butter/ margarine tubs and lids
- Sauce bottles
- Shampoo/ toiletry bottles
- Softdrink bottles
- Yoghurt containers
- Plastic cups
(all clear, green & amber glass bottles & jars)
- Oil, Sauce and Vinegar bottles
- Jam jars
- Juice and Soft drink bottles
- Alcohol bottles
- Medicine bottles