Containers for Change
To help improve our recycling efforts and keep our beautiful environment litter-free, Containers for Change scheme lets people get a 10 cent refund for each eligible container returned to a refund point.
What containers are eligible for a refund?
Most aluminium, glass, plastic, steel and liquid paperboard beverage containers between 150ml and 3 litres are eligible for a refund.
Drink containers generally consumed only at home (eg. cordial, plain milk, wine and spirit bottles, condiments and cleaning) are excluded.
Look for the refund mark; (mandatory from 1 December 2019) "10c refund at collection depot in participating state/ territory of purchase".
Download the list of eligible containers(PDF, 194KB) plus those that are excluded.
Watch the video to see examples of containers and how it works.
Broken glass is dangerous, please don't include it.
How do I make the change?
You will need to sign up to Containers for Change to create an account so you can select how you wish your refund to be paid. ie EFT into your bank account or donate to a community or charity group.
Collect drink containers generally consumed away from home (eg soft drinks, water bottles, small flavoured milk) in a separate bin at home or in your workplace.
Empty, quickly rinse and remove lids. Do not crush. No broken glass.
Sort containers into plastic, glass, aluminium or cardboard.
Make a roster so someone takes the eligible containers to the nearest refund point - Kanga bins or Australian Container Exchange operates the following counter and mobile refund points;
- The Caves - 1 Buch Square, Open Tuesday 2pm - 4pm
- Marlborough, Doc Pearce Memorial Park - Cnr Glenprairie Road and Fossey Drive, Open Tuesday 10am - 12pm
- North Rockhampton, Parkhurst - 334 Leichhardt Street, Open Monday to Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- South Rockhampton, Yeppen roundabout - 7 Capricorn Highway, Open Monday to Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Mt Morgan, 78 James Street, Open Monday to Sunday 9am - 3pm
- Yeppoon, Indoor Cricket Shed 1 - 4-6 McBean Street, Open Monday to Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm
- Emu Park, 38 Pattison Street, Open Tuesday & Wednesday 11am - 4pm
Depending on your quantity, you can leave your containers or wait for them to be counted by staff at the refund point.
Visit Containers for Change website for frequently asked questions and to search for container refund points.