Rockhampton Recreational Fishing Development Strategy
Adopted Rockhampton Recreational Fishing Development Strategy.pdf(PDF, 3MB)
Reason for the Community Engagement
Rockhampton Regional Council directed the development of an holistic strategy aimed at developing a local recreational fishing tourism industry and improve local amenity on the 4 November 2015.
The Draft Rockhampton Recreational Fishing Development Strategy(PDF, 4MB) (Draft Strategy) was been developed as a comprehensive strategy addressing improvements to marine infrastructure, marketing activities, business development, better fisheries management practices and improvements to the freshwater and saltwater ecology / environment so as to increase recreational fishing across the Rockhampton Region.
- General online survey and a paper based survey to open the conversation on infrastructure, business development and fisheries management/ecology. Completed.
- One on one boat ramp interviews on satisfaction with current boat launching facilities. Completed.
- Reference group to assist in reviewing the Draft Strategy. Completed.
- A formal community consultation period seeking feedback on the Draft Strategy. Completed.
- Three taskforce groups will continue with their drafting of implementation plans for projects included in the Strategy. This will allow for a quick transition to activation after Council approves the Draft Strategy. Ongoing.
Who should be involved
- The Rockhampton Regional community
- The Dharumbal people
- Fishing and boating enthusiasts / groups
- Environmental / horticultural interest groups
- Industry sector groups
- Local businesses
- Relevant State Government agencies
Rockhampton Recreational Fishing Development Strategy Community Engagement Report(PDF, 5MB)
Minor modifications were made to the Draft Rockhampton Recreational Fishing Development Strategy based on community feedback and a refined strategy was presented to the Council at its Ordinary Meeting 13 September 2016.
13 September 2016, Ordinary Council Meeting Resolution
1. THAT Council adopts the Rockhampton Recreational Fishing Development Strategy ;
2. THAT Council directs a draft implementation plan be finalised for the Rockhampton Recreational Fishing Development Strategy;
3. THAT Council approves the drafting of a boat ramp proposal for North Rockhampton by the Council to begin the Department of Transport and Main Roads project process; and
4. THAT Council works in cooperation with the Gladstone Ports Corporation to develop a boat ramp proposal for the Port Alma area with an aim of submitting a boat ramp proposal to begin the Department of Transport and Main Roads project process.
Moved by: Councillor Williams
Seconded by: Councillor Wickerson