Think at the sink

Fitzroy River Water maintains the sewerage system throughout the Rockhampton Region. The sewerage system is connected to each property to transport sewage and domestic wastewater from each home to the sewage treatment plants via private house drains, sewer mains and pumping stations.

Putting the wrong items down sinks can leave home owners with an expensive plumbing bill to unblock pipes. It can also lead to sewage overflows and problems in other parts of the sewerage network.

Think at the kitchen sink

Fats, oils and grease can accumulate in pipes. Small items such as fruit stickers, tea leaves and coffee grinds, when multiplied across a neighbourhood can stick to grease build-ups or get caught in screens and filters, causing costly blockages.

While rubbish flushed down drains is captured by sophisticated traps and filters in our sewage treatment plants, blocked pipes can cause sewage overflows and pollute the environment.

Think at the bathroom sink

Even small items such as adhesive bandages, hair, cotton buds and face wipes can block pipes and cause equipment failures by jamming filters and pumping equipment.

Use only the recommended amount of detergent and cleaners when available to reduce the likelihood of odour and bacteria growth leading into drain blockages.

Do not wash these items down the sink:

  • Meat fats
  • Cooking oil
  • Butter and margarine
  • Food scraps
  • Baking goods
  • Sauces
  • Dairy products
  • Produce stickers
  • Tea leaves/coffee grinds
  • Cosmetics and medicines
  • Tissues
  • Paper towel
  • Egg shells
  • Plastic


  • Use a sink strainer
  • Scrape before you wash
  • Bin it, don’t sink it
  • Use the recommended amount of biodegradable detergent.

What to do if you have a sewer blockage

If you are having trouble draining your sink or are experiencing an overflow, this could be a sign of a blockage. The first thing you should do if you believe your sewerage pipes may be blocked is to call a licensed plumber. A plumber will be able to tell you if the blockage is located in the pipes in your property boundary or outside your property boundary. If the blockage is outside your property boundary please report this to Fitzroy River Water on 07 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77.