Environmental Goals and Objectives
- To ensure potential environmental impacts due to the operation of the water treatment plant and storage facilities are minimised
- To achieve compliance with Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements as specified in the EPA Licence
- To achieve compliance with requirements of the Fitzroy Basin Resource Operations Plan.
- To ensure potential environmental impacts due to the system operation or non-operation are minimised
- Discharge effluent at a quality that complies with EPA licence requirements and the recognised environmental values of the receiving environment
- Control odour emissions from treatment plants and pump stations so as there is no impact on the amenity of surrounding areas
- Minimise the amount of sewer system overflows/ surcharges.
Non-sewered areas objectives
- To provide sewerage services to rural residential and urban areas where economically feasible
- Consider medium term on-site effluent disposal in areas anticipated to be within future sewered areas where current connection to sewerage system is impractical.
Beneficial bio-solids and recycled water utilisation opportunities objectives
- To investigate bio-solids and effluent reuse alternatives to identify cost effective options that will provide positive outcomes for Fitzroy River Water, the community and the environment
- To economically treat sewage and bio-solids to a standard that maximises their re-use potential
- Minimise the environmental impact of dewatering and transport of bio-solids from treatment plants and provide beneficial use of the resource.