Reason for the Community Engagement
In July 2015, Rockhampton Regional Council received funding from the State Government to build up community spirit and prosperity after Cyclone Marcia through the delivery of a major community project. The Riverbank Revitalisation was selected as the project.
- A draft concept plan was designed with information received from the CBD Revitalisation Survey. This draft plan was provided to community members for their opinions through the following methods:
- Face to face discussions
- CBD business and traders meeting
- CBD business and traders correspondence
- Shopping mall tours
- Online submission form
- Paper submission form
Note that the submission period is now closed and a report will be presented to Council on the 29 September 2015.
Who should be involved
- The broader Rockhampton Regional Community
- CBD Landholders and Businesses
How to have your say
The Draft Riverbank Revitalisation Concept Plan submission period is now closed.
Riverfront Revitalisation Community Engagement Report(PDF, 2MB)
Main Messages from the community
• Significant support for the concept, some indicating additional items / considerations: 83% were either positive or requested additional items to be included, 17% were negative and opposed.
• Additional items for consideration from community: Activities to bring more people to the Riverfront, Play equipment for younger kids, More art and history, More seating, shade and tables and Planning for the North side directly across from the Riverfront site.
• Main concerns for consideration: Parking was a significant concern, Safety and the perception of undesirable elements on the Riverfront, Cost of the project, Flooding of the lower bank, Water feature was seen as dangerous and Traffic safety.
Gathered from Facebook
• Main concerns were raised over flooding of the Riverfront site, cost of the project and parking.
Riverbank Concept Plan - Upper Bank and Lower Bank(PDF, 20MB)
- THAT the Report on the Riverbank Revitalisation Project be received.
- THAT the responses and actions to the issues raised during the community engagement be noted including modifications to the original concept designs.
- THAT the Upper Bank Quay Street Streetscape – Fitzroy to Denham (Stage 1) progress into the developed design and construction phase as per approved capital budget and indicative project cost estimates presented.
- THAT Lower Bank Parklands (Stage 2) progress into the developed design with reviews of the project scope for this stage on confirmation of external funding approval/s.
Moved by: Mayor Strelow
Seconded by: Councillor Rutherford