Is your business licensed to serve?

Published on 19 April 2021

Cr Grant Mathers.JPG

Do you have a food business, or are you thinking of starting one? It is that time of year when Rockhampton Regional Council issues Food License renewal applications to over 460 local food businesses.

Planning and Regulation Councillor Grant Mathers says food safety is always an important issue, but with license renewals due, now is the perfect time to check all your food handling practices are at the highest possible standard.

“Whether you are an existing food service provider, or perhaps you are considering starting up a new small business, this is a great time to make sure you have all the information you need to ensure you comply with Food Safety Standards,” Cr Mathers said.

“Council is responsible for licensing food premises in accordance with the Food Act 2006 and we provide a wide range of resources and support to help people get started with their food business and to make sure they stay compliant.

“It is really important that the correct construction, maintenance and operation of a food premises is maintained so that our community is protected from food that is not safe to eat, and an important part of providing safe food, is licensing.

“We have a whole range of food vendors and service providers that we work with each year, whether it is a fixed, mobile or temporary food premises, you need to make sure the food you serve is safe.

“If you aren’t sure where to start or even need some refresher training, Council will assist food handlers in developing the required skills and knowledge to ensure food is handled in a safe and hygienic manner.

“The I'm Alert Food Safety online training program is a great place to start. It has been developed by qualified and experienced Environmental Health professionals and is easy to access on Council’s website.”

For more information visit: