Library books take flight
Published on 01 December 2015
Travellers to and from the Rockhampton Region now have the perfect opportunity to indulge in their passion for reading thanks to the Anytime Library unit launched today at the Rockhampton Airport.
Rockhampton Regional Council’s Communities Committee Chair Councillor Rose Swadling said the mobile library unit – a first for any Australian airport - gives Rockhampton Region library members even more convenience to find a good book for their trip.
“The Anytime Library unit will give travellers, who are members of Rockhampton Regional Libraries, the convenience of borrowing a free library book before they take flight, so they can sit back, relax and immerse themselves during their journey,” Cr Swadling said.
The unit operates similar to a music vending machine allowing library members to scan their library cards, browse the book collection and make their choices on the spot.
“There’ll be something for everyone with more than 330 books on offer from a range of genres, including something to entertain the kids during and after the flight with a number of children’s authors and picture books on hand,” Cr Swadling said.
“We’re really encouraging travellers to check it out and join the library if they’re not already members, as there’s nothing quite like holding a book in your hands and getting lost in a story.”
Councillor Neil Fisher, Committee Chair for Business Enterprise, said the Anytime Library unit was a terrific addition to the airport and perfect timing with the airport’s peak period approaching.
“This is Australia’s first mobile library unit at an airport and the timing couldn’t be better with the airport coming into its busiest period,” Cr Fisher said.
“If you’ve got some spare time while waiting at the airport or would simply like to take a good book on holidays, now you can. And, it’s not just families who will benefit with a range of business-inspired books for the corporate traveller as well.
“Our Airport has always been one of the leaders in innovation and this is just one more example of Rockhampton Airport setting the benchmark.
- You must be a Rockhampton Regional Library member to access the Anytime Library.
- It’s free to borrow library books.
- You can borrow up to 20 books for up to three weeks at a time.
- The Anytime Library has capacity for 336 library items and uses a unique panoramic carousel system to allow browsing.
- The unit includes an intuitive and simple to use touchscreen which guides library members through the borrowing process.
- Library members can search for items by title and author and it shows pictures of each item so patrons can be sure of what they’re borrowing.
- Library members can return their items directly to the Anytime Library or to their local Rockhampton Regional Library. A receipt is produced for both returns and issues.