Do I need Plumbing approval?

A Plumbing approval is required for assessable plumbing work in a new structure or an alteration to comply with relevant plumbing laws and codes.

Plumbing Inspectors are available to discuss any enquiries regarding a Plumbing Approval by calling Customer Service on (07) 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77 or by emailing Please note same day appointments may not be possible.

What plumbing work requires a plumbing application?

Any plumbing and drainage work that is not defined as notifiable work, minor work or unregulated work under the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 requires a plumbing application to Council.  Plumbing and drainage work that requires a plumbing application must be performed by a licensed plumber/drainer and be assessed by Council for compliance with the regulations.  A compliance Permit or Notice To Commence must be obtained prior to commencing work.

Examples of assessable plumbing and drainage work include, but are not limited to:

  • The construction of a new dwelling on a property
  • Work related to non-sewered properties
  • Installing fixtures to a class 10 building (shed) with no current sanitary drainage or water supply connected
  • Installing or relocating fixtures on a property with duel-reticulated water supply
  • Installing new fixtures or extending/altering existing pipework on a property connected to an existing combined drain
  • Installing, replacing or removing an on-site sewerage facility
  • Plumbing or drainage work for or connecting to trade waste
  • Sanitary drainage required for installing or relocating a building classified as class 2 to 9.

Please note that Council will issue a quote for all commercial plumbing and drainage work prior to lodgement of an application.

Notifiable work

Notifiable work does not require Council approval or inspections however the plumbing and drainage work must be performed by a licenced plumber/drainer. For further information regarding what plumbing and drainage works can be done under a form 4, please contact the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.

Under the State Government process, the licenced plumber/drainer is obligated to lodge a Form 4 - Notifiable Work to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) within 10 days of completing the work. 

The Form 4 process relates to most alterations/additions on residential buildings including demolitions however please consult with your licenced plumber/drainer or visit the Queensland Building and Construction Commission website for more information.

Backflow prevention

Backflow prevention devices prevent the reverse flow of water from a possible polluted source to reduce the risk of contamination in the water supply system.  Council is required to keep a register of all testable backflow prevention devices. 

The owner of an installed testable backflow prevention device must:

  • Register the device with council and
  • The device must be inspected and tested by a backflow endorsed plumber annually.  As Council maintains a register of backflows within the Region, the results of the test must be provided to Council 10 days after testing the device - Fees Apply
Minor and unregulated works

A list of what is minor work is detailed in Schedule 3 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003.
A list of what is unregulated work is detailed in Schedule 4 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003.