First Turkey Mountain Bike Reserve Construction
As part of the Queensland Government’s Building Our Regions program, Council is working with the Rockhampton Mountain Bike Club on further facilities at the ‘First Turkey’ area along Moores Creek.
The project will construct further elements of the First Turkey Mountain Bike Reserve by constructing:
- additional mountain bike trails
- an outdoor learning area and bike competition event staging area
- a concrete creek crossing for emergency access across Moores Creek
- composting toilet facilities and
- ·new signage.
This facility will enhance outdoor recreation opportunities for Rockhampton residents and improve visitor facilities for the adjacent Mount Archer National Park. This will be a significant asset for the region and a tourist attraction which hosts local, regional, state and national level competitions.
The mountain bike trails are fully integrated with the national park trail network and are also suitable for running and hiking, maximising the use of both areas.
Works will also support the National Enduro Competition that the Rockhampton Region is hosting on 8-9 July 2017.
Improvements to the First Turkey Mountain Bike Reserve will be undertaken from January to November 2017. Please note that there will be restricted access to parts of the area whilst construction is underway.
The indicative construction program is as follows:
- Creek crossing works – January 2017
- Trail construction works – April to October 2017
- Construction of outdoor learning centre, composting toilet facilities and signage – May to October 2017
- Official opening – November 2017.
Works are scheduled on the concrete creek crossing during the period 12 – 31 January 2017. Access via the creek crossing will be restricted during this time. However the First Turkey Mountain Bike Reserve remains open to bike and pedestrian traffic via alternative routes. We apologise for any inconvenience.
For further information on this project:
Please contact Council on (07) 4932 9000.
For further information on the Rockhampton Mountain Bike Club:
Please see: http://www.rockymtb.org/