South Rockhampton Cemetery
The South Rockhampton Cemetery (also referred to as the Rockhampton General Cemetery) began operation around 1864 when the original burial ground near the present day Col Brown Park along the Fitzroy River was deemed unsuitable and closed. During the next century the cemetery became the final resting place for thousands of the men, women and children from all walks of life, who helped create the region we all enjoy today.
The cemetery was officially closed and heritage listed in 1993. Many historically important and interesting memorials can be found here with the earliest headstone recorded as 1862.
||Upper Dawson Road, Allenstown
|Finding a Grave:
The cemetery has been laid out into various religious denominations. These sections have been sign posted.
A plan of the cemetery layout has been placed near the Methodist section showing key markers to help in identifying the rows in each section.
||Please do not stand or lean on any of the memorials. If you wish to clean, repair or install a memorial, please contact the cemeteries office for advice and assistance.
||Limited fresh or artificial flowers to be placed on the grave covers only in non-breakable receptacles.
||(07) 4936 8374