Work Experience


If you haven’t got a clue what career you want to do, work experience is a perfect way to sample all the career options out there. It’s a way of exploring different jobs without actually committing to anything. You can dip your toe in the water without taking the full plunge.


  • Applicants from a registered/recognised educational institution (High School) who are at least 14 years of age.
  • Tertiary/Higher education students required to complete unpaid mandatory and/or assessable hours.
  • Participants in an employment program (including work-for-the-dole participants, disability placement or other unpaid work placement applicants).

Applicants must be engaged with an organisation or institution that offers personal insurance and public liability which will cover the applicant for duration of their placement. Evidence of this must be provided before the placement can commence.

How to Apply

All applicants must complete the Work Experience Application Form(PDF, 344KB) .

For secondary students, the applicant’s school will complete the form. (visit the careers or guidance counsellor at your school)

Those registered with employment agencies can choose to complete the application themselves or have their agency representative complete and submit the form.

Applications must be received no later than 4 weeks prior to the requested placement.

For more information please contact the Safety and Training Unit on 07 4932 9000 or 1300 22 55 77 or by emailing

Follow Council on LinkedIn for job updates and corporate news.

Approval will not be given for work experience to occur in any of the following areas:

  • Areas that pose high risk of personal injury or illness;
  • Areas where there is a special licensing requirement to perform the work, a special accreditation is required to gain entry to the work site (e.g. Construction Blue/White Card), or specific PPE is required to be worn on the work site (e.g. steel cap boots), unless the student already has their own licence, accreditation and/or PPE;
  • Areas responsible for the housing and care of animals.